SEAPAVAA is based on the concept of organization membership, while also serving a professional forum for individual practitioners.
Membership is divided into the following categories.
- Full membership — open to AV archives within the region who subscribe to the objectives of the Association and abide by its rules. Full members exercise voting rights in the General Assembly. Full members pay an annual membership fee of US$300.
- Associate members, institutional and individual — open to AV organizations or individuals who do not seek or qualify for full membership but who subscribe to the objectives of the Association and abide by its rules. They have the same rights as full members except the right to vote in the General Assembly. Associate members pay an annual membership fee of US$200 (institutional) and US$65 (individual).
Archives may apply to become full or associate members, and other organizations and individuals may apply to become associate members, in accordance with procedures established by the Executive Council. Applicants for individual membership must be supported by a reference from a full member.
Applications for membership must be in writing in a format prescribed by the Secretary-General and shall include the following details:
- name, address, telephone, fax and other contact information
- a declaration that the prospective member will subscribe to the objectives and abide by the rules of the Association
- for an archive seeking full membership, descriptive information on the collection, its size, budget and staffing, and institutional policies
- for an individual, details of institutional affiliation and curriculum vitae
- for others, an organizational description